Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Tuesday Tempo Run

Put in a nice clip 5-mile run today along the tow path. I work at Carderock on the MD side of the Potomac, just west of where the American Legion Bridge (495 bridge over Potomac on the west side of DC). For those of you not familiar with the DC area, there's a canal that follows the Potomac all the way from Georgetown to Harper's Fairy. I get to do a lot of running on that tow path because the canal is just about a quarter of a mile from the gate. There's also a nice trail that spurs on and off of the tow path that can make for high intensity hill workouts. It's called the Billy Goat Trail.

It's usually much nicer to run these paths in the summer, fall, or spring, but a cinder surface (tow path) or dirt path (billy goat trail) is much better for the knees than the road. It's also a good way to appease my shin which did act up a little. Shin's much better than it was before the weekend though!

The canal water level is very low in the winter b/c they drain it -- water in there was frozen for large lengths of the run. I averaged 6:36 per mile which is probably the best outdoor pace I've run on a five miler. And I wasn't even pushin it full out! I was wondering during the trek what must happen to all the turtles during the winter. Also, that path is loaded with Blue Herons that you will ALWAYS see in the warmer months. I think this was the first time I didn't see a single one. Must have been down on the River where they can actually still fish ;)

Tomorrow will be a strength workout and easy run on the T-mill.

Until then -- Rock on!